This is where using online RATs can be an advantage. Most, if not all,
LMS's have the ability to randomize answer choices and question order so
that overhearing the letter choice of an adjacent team is of no use. But of
course the advantage of the IFAT cards is that they are low technology and
thus are not prone to technical glitches. And students really do enjoy the
tactile task of scratching the answers on the cards.

One must be very careful to address this sort of dishonesty ASAP because it
can poison the learning environment: if teams realize that others are
cheating and not being penalized they could start to think that they need
to cheat in order to remain competitive. No matter how much I tell my
students that I do not grade on a curve, they still approach their learning
from a competitive point of view.

My two cents.......

Neil Haave
Assoc Professor, Biology
University of Alberta, Augustana Campus

--
Neil Haave, PhD | Associate Professor, Biology | Augustana Faculty,
University of Alberta | [log in to unmask] | 780-679-1506

DISCLAIMER: Any and all spelling mistakes contained in this email were
inserted at the whim of my iPad