A very interesting essay was circulated recently on "Tomorrow's Professor".  It is a presentation by Annie Murphy Paul on how we can help ourselves and others, especially our students, increase our/their intelligence, i.e., learn better and faster.
    The link for this is:  http://cgi.stanford.edu/~dept-ctl/cgi-bin/tomprof/posting.php .  In the upper left corner, search for: 1273.  This is the number of the essay on this topic.

Two of her eight ways of increasing intelligence relate to TBL.
     No. 3 is "Expertise".  Basically this means intelligence about something doesn't work in a vacuum; you have to know something to be effective at using it and learning more.  TBL's sequence of ensuring that students acquire some knowledge first (the Readiness Assurance Process) before they attempt to use it, seems in alignment with this principle.
     No. 8 is "Relationships".  She argues, on the basis of research, that "a feeling of belonging is critical to the full expression of students' ability and intelligence".  In TBL, students come to feel they belong to a team (as well, perhaps, as to the whole class).  If Annie Paul is right (and I believe she is), this would explain a lot about why students in TBL learn so well.

n outstanding essay about what we can do to help students learn better in general, as well as offering explanations about why TBL is so effective.

My Best,  Dee Fink

--
L. Dee Fink

**Former President of the POD Network in Higher Education (2004-2005)
**Author of: Creating Significant Learning Experiences (2003, Jossey-Bass)
**Senior Associate, Dee Fink & Associates Consulting Services