Thanks Tom and ALL who responded.

Without question, this IS the most helpful and supportive group I’ve ever known!

From: Thomas DeWitt [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:50 PM
To: Carson, Ron
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: *Suspicious URL* Re: Ways to Modify TBL

Ron,

I have to agree with Nick. I always take an informal poll on the first day of class where I ask for a show of hands of students who regularly complete readings for their classes. This semester I had 15% of the students raise their hands. Remember, you're the exception, not the rule. Most other faculty are teaching the textbook and only hold students accountable when they take an exam, so motivation do students have to read? By the way, I've been using RATs on the first day of class every week for the past 10 years and my average scores are no different than anyone else on the listserv (75% for iRAT and 90% to tRAT). Keep up what you're doing!

Tom

Tom DeWitt, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX)
University of Hawaii at Hilo

phone: 808.987.6551