From: Tom Allen [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, 10 September 2013 3:47 PM
To: Elizabeth Oldland
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TEAMLEARNING-L Digest - 3 Sep 2013 to 6 Sep 2013 (#2013-119)

Hi Elizabeth,

I need some clarification here. Am I understanding you right? I was believing that the Application Exercises are more about applying course concepts to situations in order to promote deep learning and that these Application Exercises are not assigned a mark or else they become merely "group work" which is contrary to TBL. When group work is assigned marks it becomes a competition between students and learning suffers. If it is group work it needs to be called such. We know what happens when projects that are better completed individually are assigned marks as group work.

tom

Tom C. Allen
Instructor, Department of Criminology
Kwantlen Polytechnic University