I've done it both ways but, have had far better results with 1 team. With two small teams, much of the time neither has the intellectual resources to do really well on anything and they get discouraged. With one 7-member team, I simply tell them what the typical scores on this test have been and they work as hard as they would with a room full of competing teams. With the applications, on some I simply report what other teams had decided in the past and "What do you think about that?". On others, I had them create a poster and I provided others for a gallery walk in much the same way as if other teams were there. As for a critiqui of theirs, I've done one or both of two alternatives. One is that I create questions about their poster--with the caveat that, "These are the common questions that other teams ask when they see a solution like yours." The other is that I'll say something like, "I'm wondering how you would respond if ______ ).

Larry