I've done it both ways but, have had far better results with 1 team. With
two small teams, much of the time neither has the intellectual resources to
do really well on anything and they get discouraged. With one 7-member
team, I simply tell them what the typical scores on this test have been and
they work as hard as they would with a room full of competing teams. With
the applications, on some I simply report what other teams had decided in
the past and "What do you think about that?". On others, I had them create
a poster and I provided others for a gallery walk in much the same way as
if other teams were there. As for a critiqui of theirs, I've done one or
both of two alternatives. One is that I create questions about their
poster--with the caveat that, "These are the common questions that other
teams ask when they see a solution like yours." The other is that I'll say
something like, "I'm wondering how you would respond if ______ ).

Larry

--
Larry K. Michaelsen, Professor of Management