Hi all,

I have handled this in a variety of different ways, but for students who need extended time - and want complete confidentiality - I have the student take the individual RAP as soon before class as possible..but always on the same day as the RAP. That allows me to give the student as much time as they need.  We don't have an honor code, but I've not had problems with students passing on information.   Then, I have the student go to the regular IRAP with everyone else, and simply hand them back their test and answer sheet (and a blank one so that they can even pretend to fill it out, if they like).

Tammy

From: Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:12 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: how to handle RAT's and special needs

Great question Katie, I look forward to others' responses. I was in a similar situation last year, and the student in question decided to simply write the quiz in class with everyone else and did not take the extra time. In this case the iRATs were fairly short (10 MCQs in 10 minutes) so extra time was felt not to be needed. But I can imagine in the future, the special needs of a student might be more considerable and so I also need to know how to handle it.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Haave, PhD | Associate Professor (Biology) | University of Alberta, Augustana Campus | 4901 - 46 Avenue, Camrose, AB T4V 2R3 | vox: 780 679 1506 | fax: 780 679 1129 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | www.augustana.ualberta.ca/profs/nhaave/<http://www.augustana.ualberta.ca/profs/nhaave/>