Brenda:
We gave up on handling paper, and now use the iClicker2 system.   This system was recently upgraded with a "Self-Paced" mode added, so students can key in answers as they go through the iRAT.  They also mark their answers on the paper copy, take it along to the tRAT exercise with the IF AT form, and, at the end of that, the paper copies (with their names on same) and the Team IF AT form are submitted in a  manila envelope with the Team number on it.  The paper copies serve as back-ups to the scanner submissions.

Upside: iGrader gives immediate, graded exams, and "Reports" showing how the individuals did on the iRAT, which we can look at, ponder as to what we will do the "mini-lecture" on, while they do the tRATs  (have also experimented with Team clickers, but dropped that idea).. .and, the student responses on any given question can be displayed on the computer/classroom screen.  iGrader also Syncs with Blackboard, so iRAT grades can be easily posted to Blackboard.

Downside: Cannot find a way to use the 4:2:1:0 grading system with the iClicker2 system for the iRAT... although it is still used in the tRAT.

Also, iClicker2 is moving also allowing use of smart  phones to key in answers... next year, I guess!

I guess paper scanners can still be used... but, the various kinds of clicker systems out there (iClicker2 being one of several)  have their advantages, especially in speed of learning how the students did... immediate in this case.

Good luck.. always tradeoffs.. many things to consider.

Sincerely,

Gary D. Lynne, Professor
Department of Agricultural Economics and
     School of Natural Resources
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68583-0922
PH: +1-402-472-3401; Cell: 402-430-3100