As suggested in the archive circulated by Jim, I always come prepared with
extra app questions (sponge activities) for groups who complete the app
early. I have experimented with assigning bonus marks to them but am
undecided whether or not that is a good idea. On the one hand, without the
incentive of bonus marks, early groups don't necessarily apply themselves
to the additional assignment (those intrinsically interested always run
with it). On the other hand, it can make slower groups rush unnecessarily
through the assigned app in order to have a chance at the bonus marks.

I suspect there is a balanced approach between providing bonus mark apps
and simply supplying a sponge activity.

Cheers

Neil

*Neil Haave, PhD* | Associate Professor (Biology) | University of Alberta,
Augustana Campus | 4901 - 46 Avenue, Camrose, AB T4V 2R3 | vox: 780 679
1506 | fax: 780 679 1129 | [log in to unmask] |
www.augustana.ualberta.ca/profs/nhaave/