David,

In general I've always had teams of 4 in my classes and as few as 3, if
necessary. I've found that if the groups are any larger that it's easier
for some to melt into the background.  With 3 or 4, all team members are
more likely to particpate. I wouldn't hesitate to have two groups for a
class of 7 people.

Cheers, Tom

Tom DeWitt, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX)
University of Hawaii at Hilo
www.hilo.hawaii.edu/ALEX
phone: 808.987.6551
email: [log in to unmask]