Dear Liza,

1) I'd try to identify background factors that seem to make a difference (positive or negative) in student performance and spread them across groups. Beyond that, one thing you might want to consider is creating groups whose members are enrolled in the same OTHER class. For example, you might have a group whose members are taking the same history course.
2) I would NOT give an open-book RAT over the syllabus. Part of what you want to do is let them experience the RAT process in the way they will be doing it for real.

Larry