From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles Albert Gullo
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 7:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Leading TBL Discussions

Yes Tom....that is what we do.
-Do involve the students in the post tRAT discussion if possible....although it is not necessary to get them to facilitate unless you feel they are comfortable enough in doing do.  But, do make sure you have a system that informs the faculty which questions (if any) they would like to discuss...let them take charge of that decision making process.  As Tom mentioned below, we get them to do this by asking them to write their concerns on the board.  We then assign other teams to answers those concerns as Tom has witnessed....this is very powerful!

-Another suggestion is that you ask another faculty to facilitate the session (someone who is not the content expert) a process which we find extremely useful.

-Finally for AEs (application exercises) do make sure you get simultaneous reporting from the teams (either in alphanumeric format or in text format if short answer) and allow for as many different individuals from different team members to critique those answers (essential when the answers to the questions vary).  Ask teams why they think another team is wrong and so on.  Be creative as there are so many different ways to ensure the class discussion remains active...but, don't butt in as content expert until the discussion has ended.  Let the student expert(s) in the room teach other students if at all possible!

Cheers,
Charles

Charles Gullo | MERE | Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore | 8 College Road Level 3 |Singapore 169857 | Tel 65167072| Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Web: www.duke-nus.edus.g<http://www.duke-nus.edus.g>