Hi Hugh,

We're in very similar positions, having done a new 1st year of TBL across the entire 1st year curriculum of our pharmacy degree course. We too kept the students in a single team for the whole year, and we just introduced them to their new teams for year 2. We used our year 1 data to help us set different criteria so we didn't end up with the same teams for year 2; but we did include some of the same 'sort' criteria.

Year 1: We ensured a gender mix, first and foremost, in each team. We sorted by high school postcode (to ensure students coming in from the same high school were not in teams together), we sorted by hours of pharmacy workplace experience next (to make sure that the individuals with a lot of work experience were evenly distributed amongst teams), and we looked to ensure that overseas students were also distributed across teams so a good social mix could result.

Year 2: We ensured the gender mix first, then used the individuals mean iRAT score from all year 1 modules to attempt to distribute the brightest students / most prepared students and the least bright / least prepared students across the teams (I'm still unsure whether low iRATs means less intelligence or less motivation/preparation, but either way...!) Then we looked at school postcode, hours of workplace experience, overseas, as per year 1 sorting.

We have ended up with quite a different team composition, though a few people have found themselves in a team with 1 or 2 members of their first year team. Given our cohort of 200 students, we're not too worried about this!

We had an 'end of year 1' activity, where we asked students to reflect on their first year team performance, and their own contributions within that team, with their 'old' team. Then we had a high energy session where we 'revealed' the new teams - there was lots of excitement and laughter as we revealed each team and everyone scrambled around the lecture room to form the new groups. We did a simple activity in the new teams to get a bit of bonding before we said goodbye for the summer vacation. It was a really positive session, even though a lot of the students were reluctant to leave their year 1 teams!

Hope that is helpful, though our criteria were quite different to yours! Good luck with the new teams.

Josie

Dr Josie A Fraser
Programme Leader for Pharmacy
Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology

University of Bradford School of Pharmacy
Richmond Road
Bradford
West Yorkshire
BD7 1DP

T: (+44) (0)1274 234663
E: [log in to unmask]

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT  http://www.bradford.ac.uk/ecoversity

This email, and any attachments, are confidential to the intended recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
Do not copy it, or use it for any purpose, nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other person.
Please note that electronic mail to, from or within the University of Bradford, may be subject to a request under the Freedom of Information Act.