Dear Lark:  your questions about accountability for the applications are ones I have wrestled with over the last 10 years.   Teaching in a medical school, my students are very conscious about grades, extremely focused on getting the best grade possible.  Ours is a standard-based assessment system, with a 70% grade required to pass each course.   TBL typically contributed 10-30% of each course's final grade.  Knowing this, I assumed that grading all applications would be the best way to maximize students' engagement as they worked through significant medical problems.  I graded all applications for 7 years (2002-2008).   A conundrum developed:  as I created applications that were intentionally challenging for the best teams in the class, the inter-team discussions would occasionally be derailed by disgruntled teams who wrangled over small details in order to "get a point" (even when that single question was worth an exceedingly small portion of their team grade).   I maintained an appeals policy  that encouraged all teams to submit appeals during the 24 hours post-session if they believed an alternate answer was defensible.  As you might surmise, the number of appeals increased in proportion to the difficulty of the application questions, requiring hours of my time to analyze the appeals.    A second unhealthy consequence was the atmosphere that developed in the room during applications--anxiety about performance, tension, or downright hostility when large numbers of teams did not choose the best answer.  In its worst expression, this resulted in students venting against faculty publicly ("unfair question", "why is this important?", "how could we possibly figure this out", etc.).

In 2009, after conferring with other TBL practitioners, I experimented with ungraded applications.   To my surprise and relief, about 90% of all students remained highly engaged during applications, working hard to arrive at consensus and defending their team's choices vigorously.   The whole atmosphere of tension and hostility disappeared, wrangling for points disappeared, and the discussions became more focused on principles, reasoning, and evidence for decision-making.   A study was completed by a team of MS2 students (submitted for publication and under review), documenting reasons why students preferred the ungraded application format.   The major negative outcome with ungraded apps was that about 5-10% of students became more passive and less concerned about their team's decisions--disengaged or weakly engaged.   Interestingly, the other 90-95% perceived this behavior as unprofessional and inappropriate.  The slackers were called out for irresponsibility on the peer evaluations, which negatively affected their personal score).    In summary, since 2009, I have not graded applications while progressively increasing their difficulty level to enhance learning--clearly a good thing.   I feel you will probably experience similar results IF the learning culture established among you and your students promotes accountability on a professional rationale, as opposed to an assessment-driven motivation.   You might remind your students that their behavior toward teammates resembles closely their behavior toward patients who will depend on their skills and whom they will  serve.   best, Paul