I'll address one item at a time from my perspective.  see below

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>    1. What happens when a student does not pass the individual
>>    assessment and is not prepared? Remedial plan?
>>

> These students won't be ready for tRAT....so peer pressure and peer
> evaluation normally takes care of this

I've had many students who do poorly on the iRAT but still participate well
on the T-RAT.  We all know students who second guess themselves.  I also
often hear, "...oh, THAT's what they meant by that..."  (indicating a
misunderstanding on the student's part about some concept).  In high
functioning teams I've heard,
"well what do you think, Sheila?"
"um, I didn't read that part."
"ok, but what do think the question is asking?"
<Sheila answers>
"So do you think A is a better answer or B?  Why?"

Even if the student doesn't know the answer the participation in group
helps the group think through the answer.

--

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology