Good Morning, TBL colleagues,

This afternoon at 3:00 PM Eastern DST UAlbany will be live streaming an event on Team-Based Learning.  This is our annual “Spotlight on Faculty,” and this year we will feature six UAlbany instructors who have adopted TBL, some recently, and some for several years. The purpose of this event is to further promote the use of TBL at UAlbany—this event will kick off the drive to recruit another cohort of participants for our May and August TBL Academies.

We invite you to watch the stream if you are curious. The first 15 minutes will be used in an activity to model 4-S design, and this may be difficult to follow in the video, as the intended audience will be primarily those who are in the room. Our panel of faculty will begin speaking immediately after the activity.

The link to the stream will be posted on our home page (www.itlal.org) at 2:30PM today. We’re using Google-YouTube.com, so there is no need for an account or for a log in. Just click on the link and you’ll be taken to the correct place.

If you join us online, we also ask that you bear with us if we run into glitches, either of the technical type or the human type.

Bill Roberson

Institute for Teaching, Learning and Academic Leadership

University at Albany

University at Albany Spotlight on Faculty 2013: Team-Based Learning

Featuring:

Karin Reinhold, Associate Professor, Mathematics and Statistics

Kristen Hessler, Associate Professor, Philosophy

Yvonne Harrison, Assistant Professor, Public Administration and Policy

Trudi Jacobson, Distinguished Librarian, University Libraries

Shawn Bushway, Professor, Criminal Justice

Victoria Coyle, Ph.D. candidate, Educational Psychology

Monday, March 11, 2013

3:00-4:30pm in ITLAL Underground (LI-B69)

To register for this event: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FRTY8NV

To watch a live stream go to www.itlal.org for the link, which will appear at 2:30 PM EST

150+ UAlbany instructors can’t all be crazy! If student under-performance and even apathy are phenomena that you’ve ever witnessed in your classes, we invite you to consider an alternative model of teaching.   Team-Based Learning is an evidence-driven, “flipped” method, and students in a TBL course come to class prepared (by design) to use course content to make decisions that foster critical thinking.  With the right design, learning structure and process, students will take responsibility for their own learning and perform at a very high level. They WILL prepare, attend, participate and study when doing so implicates them directly and profoundly—and when they realize that NOT doing so has direct implications for the success of their peers.   The TBL classroom, whether for 10 students or 300 students, is specifically designed to raise the learning bar and place students in a context of adult responsibility. Our faculty guests will share how they did it and what the results were. Take a break from the midterm grind and join us—we’ll have drinks and snacks on hand.

Teaching, Learning and Academic Leadership

www.itlal.org