Dear Musarrat,

I’m excited that you are looking at using TBL and also that you are looking
for help in doing it. If at all possible, I’m not sure how you’ve been
introduced to TBL but, if at all possible, I'd strongly recommend inviting
one or more TBL veterans to come to your campus to work with your faculty
at two different stages in the process. Although there would be some costs
involved, I think it is really risky to do a large-scale TBL implementation
without getting help from someone with real TBL expertise.  Based on the
experience of a number of schools that have relied on a single staff member
and/or self-education from the literature and the web site, the cost of NOT
investing in the training can be much higher. That's because it is so
imperative to be successful in your first TBL offerings.  If you struggle
in your initial attempts, it will be extremely hard to regain a positive
momentum. Even if the problem is due to a faulty implementation of TBL, the
doubters on your faculty will conclude that TBL doesn't really work (or
doesn't work with YOUR students or with your subject matter or something
else). Further, their negative voice will be very persuasive and get louder
with each challenge you encounter.

Overall, I'd recommend two different types of external help. The first
would be to bring in someone well before you planned  TBL introduction to
do a series of workshops. That would allow your faculty to actually *
experience* the key activities involved in TBL under the direction of
someone who really knows how to do it. For most faculty, such an experience
does two important things. One is creating the high level of motivation and
commitment that you will need to sustain the effort required to get the
design work done. The other is giving them a common and well-grounded
understanding of TBL that will build their confidence to move ahead.

The second time that I would bring in a TBL veteran would be after you have
some modules that you think are pretty much ready to go. At that point,
someone who really knows what they are doing would be able to spot any
serious flaws in you planned implementation. In addition, they would also
be able to suggest modifications that would make make your initial
offerings more exciting for both you and your students.

Larry

--
Larry K. Michaelsen, Professor of Management