Mary,

I generally find interviews with students alone in an isolated manner
(answering one question etc) not as interesting , and am not sure my
students would believe or trust them without knowing them better (ie.
Later year student in their faculty).  If wondered if you could do a
"spot interview" with a student commenting on what they were doing and
what they liked and disliked about TBL at that moment, while actually
doing it , would be interesting. Try to make sure the tone is as if
talking secretly or covertly to a friend who just looked in (not wanting
to disturb the other students engaged in TBL stuff)!

For example:

1.                   Have a group of students studying (reading prep
materials) and have one turn to the camera as if talking to a "viewer at
home" describing what they were doing and perhaps some of their concerns
(reading enough?, properly prepared?) or what they were looking forward
to (learning concepts and using them).

2.                   have a student taking a RAT and look into the
camera saying " we're doing the irat and the questions are a bit tough
but luckily I studied and also I sure hope I am able to help my team
members in the G-Rat"

3.                   in a case discussion or activity catch them mid
heated inter-team discussion and have them say..."our group discussed
the issue and are pretty sure we have the right answer...now we just
have to convince the rest of the class!"

By first deciding what you want to bring out (preconceptions of many
students, fears, challenges, thrills), you can integrate it into a fun
"along for the ride" type experience.

Just some thoughts.  Happy to be formally involved if you're looking for
some help/collaboration. The more I think of it , I WOULD like to get
involved....if possible.

Ken

Sincerely,

Dr. Ken Kontio B.Sc., M.D., M.Ed., FRCS(C)

Department of Surgery - Rm 3342

Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario

401 Smyth Road

Ottawa, ON