Hi Keri,

I guess you could consider one of the following options:

1. Offer the student the chance to come in early and start the iRAT before the other students come in and get started. It's not ideal, but it would satisfy the requirement, especially if you're in the fortunate (perhaps unlikely?) situation where you have an ante-room they could use so they aren't too disrupted by everyone else arriving.

2. Make the argument that we have made with our students - that this isn't a high-impact exam, but simply a chance to confirm their knowledge base from the pre-reading, so it's not critical; it's also not time-limited. We have pointed out that disability requirements that apply when, for example, everyone gets 60 minutes, and the equivalent reading time to make things fair for a dyslexic student is 75 minutes, are designed for a fixed time-set exam situation. In our iRATs, we give everyone "as long as it takes" for 50% of the room to have completed the test, then give a 5minute warning to the rest of the room, so that the earlier finishers don't have to sit quietly for too long. As this time is flexible, and based on how easy/hard the majority are finding the questions, and there's no fixed time, it's not easy to compensate the disabled student; however the 5 min guideline beyond the 50% submission point has not raised any objections from the students on our course so far.

Since the tRAT is discussing questions that the student has already had time to work through during the iRAT, they shouldn't need any additional time for the tRAT - assuming that their difficulty affects their reading/writing ability, and not their ability to discuss the concepts and talk through their answers. So I don't think that will be a problem - unless their disability is something other than the common things that generate 'learner support profiles' in our institution!

With best regards,

Dr Josie A Fraser
Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology
MPharm Programme Leader

University of Bradford School of Pharmacy
Richmond Road
Bradford
West Yorkshire
BD7 1DP