From: "Milman, Tessa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 26 January, 2013 9:21:16 AM PST
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Message ("Your message dated Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:37:45...")

Hello, Jim,

I just wanted to make sure you received this message for listserve distribution? Since I sent it, I was thinking it might be best to add the three new students to my seven person group, and then split that group in half. That way, only one of the groups would be disrupted, and I would have one group of 7, one group of 6 and two groups of 5.

Any advice you or others might be able to give would be appreciated!

-Tessa

Here is the email I sent out to the listserve yesterday:

Hello,

My name is Tessa and I am teaching a course called Across the Lifespan: Occupation, Health and Disability for undergraduate students for the first time. I have used TBL to design the course.

I’m wondering if any of you have experienced forming groups, but then experiencing a change in class size that results in the number of students in each group not being ideal.

I formed groups in my first class session- I had 20 students enrolled at the time. Concerned that if we formed 4 groups, some groups might end up being less than 5 if students dropped the class or if students were absent frequently, I formed 3 groups of 7,7 and 6. We set grade weights in the first session and I feel that had a positive impact on group development. Since our first class session, 3 students have added the course!

So now, I have the option of having three groups of 7,8 and 8, or splitting up the groups so I have four groups of 5,6,6 and 6. I worry about splitting up the groups now that they have had a chance to bond, but I also feel that 8 members is quite large for a group. The final add deadline is Feb 1st so there is a possibility that even more students might add the course. Just to be clear, we have only had one class so far, in which we reviewed the class and TBL,  formed groups, took practice tRATs and iRATs on the syllabus and set grade weights. Because the class is on a Monday, two weeks will have passed before their second class.

I am wondering whether it may just be best to break them up into four groups, given that they have only had one class and have had some time in between.

Any suggestions? Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks so much for any guidance you might have!

Best,

-Tessa

Tessa Milman, OTD, OTR/L

Clinical Instructor

USC Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy

1540 Alcazar St. CHP 133

Los Angeles, CA 90089

(323) 442-2460

http://ot.usc.edu