Jim Sibley

Sorry for brief message -sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gersich, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 26 December, 2012 6:59:46 AM PST
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: First time using TBL

This message  was originally  submitted by [log in to unmask]  to the
TEAMLEARNING-L list at  LIST.CTLT.UBC.CA. If you simply forward it  back to the
list, using a mail command that generates "Resent-" fields (ask your local user
support or consult the documentation of your mail program if in doubt), it will
be  distributed and  the  explanations  you are  now  reading  will be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (39 lines) ------------------
Michael,

I have used TBL since fall for a couple of my upper-level accounting courses.  The course structure is such that my units are 3 to 5 50-minute class periods long.  I have a RAT at the beginning of each unit.  At the end of the past two fall semesters, I have asked students in the course evaluation instrument whether RATS should be conducted out-of-class on Moodle and have received a resounding no.  Each of my quizzes is 10 best-response multiple-choice items.  There are a few items which are relatively straight-forward, however, most of them require critical thinking and analysis to identify the best response given the factor(s) in the stem.  The RAT process takes 25 to 35 minutes -- the remaining time I have a mini-lecture on unit components which have given students difficult in the past.  Student teams have until the beginning of the next class period to file appeals on the items.  At the beginning of the next class period I review the difficult items for the first 5-10 mi
nutes {t

If you are not getting to the second half of the reading until the next week, it seems to me an option would be to assign the reading you expect to discuss in that week.  I would then have a RAT at the beginning of each period -- one benefit of this is that the discussion during the tRAT to agree on the best-choice often includes a discussion of the items I used to lecture on before moving to TBL.

Frank