Several people responded to my query below (thank you—this was quite helpful!), and I have pasted redacted versions of these responses after my initial post below. The most popular solution was to introduce a constraint to the grading system such that team performance scores and peer evaluation scores would only be included in final grade calculation if the student obtained a 70% or better for their individual performance score, otherwise their grade would simply consist of their individual performance score.

Nicholas DiFonzo, Ph.D.

Professor of Psychology

Department of Psychology

18 Lomb Memorial Drive