Hi David – I used scantrons last year, but with 100+ students and 6 RATs, I accumulated a great deal of paper. So, having them register their answers with clickers reduced paper, eliminated the run to the computer center to deliver the RATS, and eliminated the downtime waiting for RATs to be scored. I have them use their PERSONAL clickers for the iRAT and I transfer those to my grade book (in Blackboard Learn) while they take the tRAT. Then I have them answer the tRAT with their TEAM clickers (that I provide) in the same way they answered the iRAT. One thing they like is that I show how the teams answered on the tRAT after each question, and then I show them the correct answer, so they have immediate feedback. I make note of any questions where many of the teams answered incorrectly, and then we discuss those questions (and any other questions they have) after they’ve completed registering all answers for the tRAT.

By the way, they also use these TEAM clickers to answer “clicker questions” I present during class time and answers to application questions.

Ann

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Raeker-Jordan
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:33 PM
To: Smiley-Oyen, Ann [KIN]
Subject: Re: Length of time for RATs

Ann,

I like your idea for using TurningPoint (we have an older version that does not allow for self-paced tests), but I have always had students fill out a scantron for the iRAT. Why do you use TurningPoint instead of scantrons for iRATs?

Thanks.

P.S. I sent this question only to you, but I bet that lots of folks on the listserve would be interested in your answer.

David Raeker-Jordan

Legal Methods Professor

Widener University School of Law

Harrisburg, PA