Hi Ron-

In my experience, this type of comment comes from a member of a dysfunctional team or a group of students that never actually came together as a team. I believe it is important for instructors to try and gauge team functionality as the groups begin to form teams (generally in 5-7 weeks depending on the students and environment). If an instructor can gently intervene early with the team, say by specifically engaging the quiet students in an instructor-team discussion, it can help model the kind of dialog we would like to have within and from the teams. I have done this several times and it seems to work for me.

One way to help mitigate this poor team behavior is to have teams develop rules, expectations, guidelines, philosophy, etc. at the start of the class. If built by team consensus and reduced to writing, it helps guide the teams. We use that for our first semester teams and in addition to enjoying the exercise (as it helps build team cohesion) it reinforces good individual and team behavior.

Lane

Lane J. Brunner, Ph.D., R.Ph.

Professor and Chair

Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences

California Northstate College of Pharmacy

10811 International Drive

Rancho Cordova, CA  95670

Tel: (916) 503-1860

Email: [log in to unmask]