Ron,

If I understand correctly, one of my two guesses was right. However, I'm
having a hard time envisioning how the procedure works. From your
description, it sounds like group 1 gives their conclusion, then group 2,
etc. If that's true, it is more like a sequential report than a
simultaneous report. I'm also guessing that that much of the discussion is
between the representative and the class and that you are typically very
active in moderating the discussion.

The ideal situation is getting teams to DIRECTLY challenge each other so
that your only job is to "direct traffic". In fact, when it is going really
well, they almost forget that you are even there. In my experience, the
best way to make it happen is creating a situation in which teams are as
committed as possible to different specific choices which, because they
simultaneously report, they are "on the hook" to defend.

I think my three recommendations are still valid suggestions.
1) Make some of the choices much more difficult and complex so that it will
take them longer to make a specific choice. If possible, design it so that
it integrates across units.
2) Change the form of some of the simultaneous reports (e.g.,
poster/gallery walk, overlaying transparencies that represent some sort of
a curve or graph, _____ in 10 words or less on a 3x5 card that is placed on
a document camera or is typed into a spreadsheet and projected onto a
screen, etc.).
3) Recycle the question by changing some of the parameters in a way that
causes students to have to use the same information but, think about it
from a different perspective.

Larry

--