Hello Georgianne

I had 240 geography students in a lecture theatre that held 245 this last semester. It is difficult but I assigned each group a designated seating area with three in front and three behind – the ones in front could then turn around and sit on the desks when required.  I did have to change some of the group sizes to accommodate shorter or longer rows. Unfortunately we also had class in two different rooms so it took a bit of planning. It was not ideal but we managed J

Good luck

Joe J

From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Georgianne Connell
Sent: Thursday, 16 August 2012 7:00 a.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: classroom contraints

Hello,

Last year was my first  time applying TBL. It was very successful but I have run into a big roadblock for this fall. I’ll have 192 intro to biology students and a lecture hall with 192 desks – no central hallway – just a block of 192 fixed desks.

Has anyone found a creative way to adapt this pedagogy when in-class groupings aren’t possible?

Thanks!
Georgianne

georgianne Connell

Western Washington University