Jim is absolutely correct. The keys are thoughtfully assigning each group a
specific block of seats so that it is possible for them to see each other
face-to-face (e.g. don't assign 6 people to the seats on a single row) and
making sure that you manage the details well. For example:
1) Using team folders and training the groups to pick pick them up and
return them WITH EVERYTHING YOU WANT INSIDE THE FOLDERS.
2) USE IF-ATs for the team RATs.
3) Have REALLY well designed (i.e., 4-S) applications.
4) When you are not using "MCQ" applications, you have to have the teams
simultaneously turn in their answers but, for the next stage you'll want to
have the teams do a second round of 4-S with a sample of team responses
(e.g. which of these 5 team choices--selected from a much larger
number--most clearly supports [or contradicts] _____.")
If you have access to it, Chapter 11 in the 2004 Stylus paperback contains
a lot of additional helps for dealing with large classes.

Larry

--
Larry K. Michaelsen, Professor of Management