Vanessa-
To be fair I'm just starting out.  But, I'm using TBL in a math course
(linear algebra) with iRATs outside of class like you describe - and I got
the idea from somebody on the listserv who was using that method in a
statistics course.
My instinct (and this is just an instinct, mind you) is that if you're
worried about them having too much work, you could shorten the homework
assignments - after all, they're doing some work now in class that they
would have traditionally done at home.

That's just my $0.02.
Best,

Kalman Nanes
Lecturer
Dept. of Math and Stat
University of Maryland - Baltimore County

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Preast, Vanessa A [SOE] <[log in to unmask]