Hello TBL users,

I apologize if this message is duplicated. I was having a bit of trouble subscribing to the list and I sent it out the first time before I was properly subscribed.

I’ll be teaching Educational Research Methods for the first time and I want to use TBL.  In designing my group assignments, I’ve seen conflicting information about grading. Would you be able to help me understand how to grade group assignments because I’m confused how to assign points when there is no definitively correct answer. The following are some activities that I’ve considered, and I’d welcome any feedback on the potential effectiveness/problems with these activities and how to assign points to teams.

*Proposed activity 1: (Learning goal – evaluate research studies)

Each team receives the same 5 articles. The teams are now the editors for XYZ journal and they must select which of the 5 articles they will accept to their journal. They will present their choice simultaneously and expect to defend their choice. I don’t see this situation as having a distinct correct answer, so how would I assign points to the teams?

*Additional group activities: (Learning goals – conduct quantitative and qualitative research, review the literature, develop research problems & questions, design research plans, collect and analyze data, & write research reports)

The entire class will generate a single mixed-methods research study with each stage having the following activities.

a)      Research problem –As homework, individuals choose research problems and research questions. As an in-class group activity, the teams select one qualitative and one quantitative research problem/question to propose to the class. The entire class comes to consensus on one qualitative and one quantitative research question to investigate.

b)      Lit review –As homework Individuals locate and select 2 or 3 articles relevant to the research question. Not sure how to integrate intra- and inter-team selection of relevant articles for the lit review.

c)       Methodology – individuals describe methodology which will adequately answer the research questions. Teams select the methodology they will defend. The class negotiates the methodology they’ll use.

d)      Instrument generation – individuals generate an instrument as homework and teams refine it and present it to class.

e)      Data gathering – not sure how to make this an activity, but it is necessary for the next step and for learning

f)       Data analysis and interpretation – individuals then teams analyze the data. Teams present their conclusions to the class and support with their analysis.

I’m not sure if these would make good assignments, and how I would assign points for the group portions. Any feedback is welcome.

Thank you,

Vanessa

Vanessa Preast, DVM, PhD

Iowa State University