Dear All:

I have had similar experiences in my TBL course in the undergraduate college and in the School of Medicine where I have made accommodation for the individual component of the RAT (we call them “RA-RA’s” here) or the individual component of the exams, and then no accommodation for the team phase.  I have discussed this issue with our Deans here at Duke and in our sister School in Singapore and there are no policies in place for TBL-specific activities.  This is a deficit in our planning and implementation that we need to think through carefully, so I appreciate the input of all of you in this matter.  We are making it up as we go here (in Singapore, there are no federal mandates in this area so there are no accommodations there for anyone with a learning disability).

Kind regards,

Len

Leonard E. White, PhD

Associate Professor

Department of Community and Family Medicine

Doctor of Physical Therapy Division

Department of Neurobiology

Director of Education

Duke Institute for Brain Sciences

Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies in Neuroscience

Trinity College of Arts and Sciences