Hello list!

I have a question for those of you using TBL at the university level. At USM we use TBL in our coaching program in classes of approximately 35-40 students. Students in the program will have two to three classes that follow the TBL format during their program. Recently, other faculty in our department have questioned the use of the group evaluations as part of grade calculations, indicating they believe there is potential for members of a group to target one group member during the evaluation process. To my knowledge, our university does not have a policy on using group evaluations as part of the grade calculation but I am wondering if any of you have had/answered these same questions from colleagues. In our courses students are heavily involved in choosing the percent weight for group evaluations at the beginning of the semester, but I am interested to know if any of you use other methods to make the case for group evaluations in grading.

Thanks!

Melissa

Melissa Murray, Ph.D.

CC-AASP

C.S.C.S.

Assistant Professor- Sport Coaching Education

The University of Southern Mississippi

For information on our fully-online Master's of Science in Sport Coaching Education:

http://www.usm.edu/elo/grad_sportcoaching.php#