Mike, I'm going to review your suggestions for the team quiz and see if it would work in my case.  I wish there was a technology solution to allow team quizzes -- the method you mention seems cumbersome.  Maybe one team member is online answering for the team as a whole?  Is this an opportunity for somebody to make a Java or other web program for team quizzes?

For Gary, about asychronous, in my experience asynchronous teams do NOT work well.  I have seen this as an instructor, and from my wife who is taking online courses and is often required to do teamwork.  My wife's experience is probably typical, in which many students just do not contribute to the team.  They cannot meet, wait until the last minute, etc.  All the team problems that TBL seeks to address.

Ron.

________________________________

From: Team-Based Learning [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Sibley, James Edward [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TBL for fully online, synchronous course

Hi

Michelle Clark at UNLV

Sunay Pasole at UT El Paso

Do fully online

Jim Sibley

Sorry for brief message -sent from my iPad

On 2012-04-11, at 1:11 PM, "Gary D Lynne" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Ronald, Michael and all:

Encouraging results: Has anyone also managed to find a way to use TBL in Distance Ed with asynchronous... i.e. students not all there at the same hour... learning? In my experience, most distance students do not wish to "be there" all at the same time.. and, is a main reason they take distance courses.

In my hybrid course, which is also "live" on Adobe Connect, in the on-campus classroom (with in-residence students being present), typically only 3-4 of the 30-35 distance students (10% or so) choose to also "be there" at the designated hour (clearly preferring to tune-in to the Adobe Connect recording and Podcast recording, plus posted pdf file of the ppt, at a later time).

Anyone managing to do TBL with the asynchronous learner/environment? Seems it could be done.. just let the Teams choose their own meeting time... or, even do it over several meeting times, like on an asynchronous discussion board (which we have tried with success, to make a discussion board work for class sizes over 40.. the teams posting the essence of their team discussions to the larger board). I see problems with RATs, though... the tRAT in particular... if done over time (the open book problem... but, then, does it matter, as long as they find the answer??).

Any experiences here?

Thanks.

Gary D. Lynne, Professor
Department of Agricultural Economics and
School of Natural Resources
103B Filley
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68583-0922 USA
Website: <http://agecon.unl.edu/lynne> http://agecon.unl.edu/lynne
Phone: 1-402-472-8281 Cell: 1-402-430-3100
This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged information, and are intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivery to the named recipient, any review, distribution, dissemination or copying by you is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies in any form.

"We are always only one failed generational transfer of knowledge away from darkest ignorance" (Herman Daly)
"We do not just have our own interests. We share interests with others. Empathy ... exemplifies the implicit solidarity of human nature" (Robert Solomon)
"Whoever frames the debate tends to win the debate" (George Lakoff)

<graycol.gif>"Michael J. Welker" ---04/11/2012 02:03:19 PM---Ronald, I too have utilized Elluminate for a synchronous TBL setup.