Hi all,

You might want to ask the small team what might work for them.  They may well have bonded and want to stay together, even if they can’t get another member.  Probably depends on the course whether they want someone else or want to split up.

Leelah Dawson, Instructor

From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Molly Espey
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TBL team/group size

If it's far enough into the semester that groups have really become teams, I'd be inclined to let it go.  This has happened to me only once in almost 10 years of using TBL.  The team was definitely at a disadvantage, but it worked out okay.

If it's very early in the semester, I've adjusted teams myself, trying to disrupt as few students as possible, sometimes just breaking up one group and spreading them around to several other teams.  I've only had to do this a few times and it also usually works okay because strong team identy hasn't usually formed yet but the core of teams (except the one spread around) remains to keep building teamwork.

I've had to address the issue a couple of times a little further into the semester, say more than a week or so.  What I've done then is ask for a volunteer from one of the larger teams (say of 7) to move to the small team.  That's worked well as there is minimal disruption.

I'm also interesting in hearing what others have done.

Molly Espey, Professor

John E. Walker Department of Economics

Clemson University