From: Jim Sibley [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:31 PM
To: Roberson, Bill
Subject: Re: Peer Feedback Learning Exercise?

Hi Bill

Can you share your slide of the 5 seed helping behaviours

Cheers jim

From: "Roberson, Bill" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 15:35:57 +0000
To: <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>

Michael,
Others will no doubt have lots of good ideas on this. I recently implemented a “criteria for helping behavior” development exercise for the first class meeting, one of the first things students did after the formation of teams.
I put on a slide a list of 5 behaviors that I thought were helpful, then asked the teams to come up with their own, giving them the option of creating their own or using some of mine. Following the same technique as used in grade weighting, I asked the groups to send a rep to a central decision committee to make the final decision on the definition of “helping behavior” for the class. Their final list was a little longer than mine, as students’ criteria were more explicit.
When we did the midterm peer evaluation (formative only, no weight on the grade), these exact criteria appeared on their peer evaluation form. I was pleased to see that many students referenced them when they provided feedback to one another. The same criteria appeared on the final peer evaluation.
Bill Roberson
University at Albany