I would like to challenge that prehaps this IS a fair evaluation of her team contribution.  And to ask what is being evaluated through the evaluation process?

A parallel learning objective, when we use TBL, is that the students learn how to be a team. Effective team behaviour wouldn't be measured by the quantity of the work contributed, because that does not support the system of a team. Effective team behaviour is supportive of the members in the team; to allow multiple approaches to problem solving, explore different perspectives and to collaborate on the outcome.  A relationship of interdependancy is necessary for them to be a team.  Therefore members cannot hold on to the their belief that 'their approach' or 'their answer' is the answer that the team agrees to.  That means that sometimes collectively the team does not get the 'right' answer, but that through discussion and exploration they collectively support the approach they take.  And the team supports each other in the exploration and final choice.  This is one of the consequences for working in a team.  If one team member continues to hold HER answer is the only answer, the purpose of the team experience is missed.  So in essence we win or lose by the team  Which means, when we grade the project the entire team is impacted.

The challenge to us as educators is to support this complexity in how and what we use to measure learning. And how much value we give to team based behaviours.  Long term the team skills in decision making will serve them well in group decision making. This is an important skill going forward.  What can we learn from looking at things and making the less perfect choice?  What do we as educators value through the process?

If this student did NOT work collaboratively and polar behaviours were present during the project, this would suggest that the student isn't strong in the skills of team building and team support. To do most of the work, and to hold on to being 'right' does not allow for exploration of multiple answers and approaches.  Did she not let others contribute because she felt she was right? (Even if she was right, what was missing - trust, relationship, communication?)This can limit creative and critical thinking. Do we value these skills?

And I think that looking from the outside in to the team, it might be more difficult for us to actually measure these complex relationships.  That is the experience of those inside the system.

My final thought is that we also have to teach the skills of evaluating performance to the students.  This needs to be a purposeful lesson in our already full class agendas.  If we don't teach them how to appropriately evaluate, there is the opportunity for the evaluators to take their frustration out on those who dominate or social loaf during the projects.

The longer I have used TBL in my programs, the clearer I have become in defining the course learning objectives and team learning objectives   By first clarifying for myself how I prioritize the team experience in learning, I have been more effective in communicating my expectations for their behaviours and in defining team performance evaluation criteria.
And I continue to find the TBL learning experience to be a rich and rewarding learning enviroment for learning.

That is my 2.5 cents (CDN)!!

Teresa Comey

UBC
Sauder School of Business