Hi

I have many faculty I work with.....that struggle a bit to wrap their heads
around TBL...when they have traditionally done lots of calculations...and
had their students do lots of homework calculations.

Larry gave me a bit of a clue....²make sure you ask students to make  a
decision based on the result of the calculation...so they can get very
immediate and unambiguous feedback on the calculation answer²....that was
helpful....but not completely satisfying

Then I bumped into the book ³Ranking Exercises for Physics
Students².....which had an AMAZING IDEA

Get students to do a series of problems (see attached example) then rank
order them ­ most-least/highest-lowest/fastest-slowest....then the reporting
is about comparing the rank order

This has allsorts of advantages...since they get to do multiple
calculations...on different problems....and they get such clear feedback on
ALL their calculations

Nice!

Jim