Hi all,

I just read an article in the November Faculty Focus newsletter that discussed Brookfield’s new book on teaching critical thinking.  The article is entitled Teaching Critical Thinking: Are We Clear and it was written by Maryellen Weimer.  I thought you might be interested in the listing below of ‘times in a course when critical thinking is most important’.  Several of them match up quite nicely with what TBL requires of students during well-designed application exercises.  Karla

•          When skills and knowledge have to be applied in the real world

•          When independent judgment is needed

•          When alternative interpretations and perspectives are possible

•          When actions and decisions need to be informed

•          When rapid judgments are called for

•          When students are encouraged to see themselves as knowledge generators  ( from November Faculty Focus, Weimer, 2011)

Karla Kubitz, Ph.D., FACSM
Program Coordinator, Exercise Science

Department of Kinesiology
Towson University