Hello, colleagues! I am hoping to gain some insights from your experience with TBL, particularly regarding the use of TBL in the online learning environment. I just recently attended a workshop with Dr. Michaels. I asked him, both privately and publically, at the workshop about the implementation of TBL in the online classroom. He confidently assured me that it could be done successfully. Of course, we were not able to get into an in depth discussion specific to online learning, thus I’m bringing the discussion to this forum.

I am in the development stages of a new curriculum for an online RN to BSN program. After having talked with Dr. Michaels, I have a new-found understanding of the failures of group-based assignments. I have experienced these failures and frustrations both as an educator and as a student. It is my desire to avoid future failures. With that in mind, I ask those who have integrated TBL principals in online education to share your insights and experiences.

Thanks, all!

Kristen Bryan Wessel, RN, MSN
Assistant Professor/Program Director, RN to BSN Program
College of Arts & Sciences
Bellevue University
1000 Galvin Road South
Bellevue, Nebraska 68005

Office # 402.557.7534
Cell# 402.957.1683

covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521,
is confidential, and may be legally privileged for the sole use of intended
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of the original message.