I am in my 3rd semester of using TBL.   Am finding it quite useful but have some kinks to work out.

I have students do group projects during class time---- about  120 minutes hours spread over two classes.    I repeatedly tell students they need to prepare their personal preliminary answers BEFORE coming to class  so that they can discuss, compare, and  develop the best answer as the group answer.  After the group project is turned in, each group member allocates points to each other member according to how much they contributed to submitting  good group  answer.

The issue:  Students comment that  they are too rushed to get the group projects  done within the allotted class time.
At the same time, several students have also commented that group members are  frequently NOT  well prepared to do the project when they walk in to class.
Obviously, if they come better  individually prepared, they will not be so rushed to turn in the group answer.

  How to motivate them  to individually prepare better?

Thanks in advance.

Duane R. Stock, Price Investments Professor
205A  Adams Hall
Price College of Business
University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK  73019

work email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
home email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

work fax: 405.325.5491,   or  405.325.7688

work phone: 405.325.5690

home phone: 405.364.5347

cell phone:  405.808.9344

home address: 4112 Harrogate Drive