Dear TBLers:

Our university is embarking upon the building of a new Teaching Complex.  As part of the planning, I have been asked to make a recommendation, based on the literature, for the optimal size (or range of sizes) for flat classroom space. Specifically the Associate Dean writes "The range 80 - 120 students is one I've come across several times, but is 120 the upper limit or is there evidence it could be effective to go as high as 150?"

So far I have responded: (sorry for the length, I cut and paste to save time but my question for you TBLers is bolded at the bottom so feel free to skim/skip)

"I do not know of any research on optimal classroom size in general.  There is no evidence of which I am aware that the educational experience, however measured, deteriorates much between 100 and 150 in any type of classroom.  There is lots of research on class size, especial in the K-12 age group, http://epa.sagepub.com/content/21/2/97.full.pdf+html even in first year college/university but it is usually not related to instructional strategy or class layout/design.  That is, it asks whether number of students in a class is related to student performance, student attitude, and/or retention. The usual finding at the post secondary level is that in a narrow range of class sizes tested (varies in each study/review 40-120 or 100-150, etc.),  there is a very small, but reliable effect in that larger classes result in slightly lower achievement and the effect is  worse for males and those of lower incomes.   https://editorialexpress.com/cgi-bin/conference/download.cgi?db_name=pej2008&paper_id=41 http://www.stanford.edu/~degiorgi/ClassSize.pdf This effect, however, may disappear in more homogenous and higher-achieving first year samples such as the one at Queen's or in Canadian universities in general.

At these lower levels (say up to 150), it does not appear to be classroom size per se, but what instructors do.  The conclusion seems to be that
"Teachers’ behaviors do not vary much with the size of classes. . .More accurately teachers do change their behaviors in small classes, but the changes are relatively subtle and unlikely to make important differences in student achievement."  Robert Slavin, 1989 and substantiated in 2001 in a large, very comprehensive review of the literature (experimental and survey) at https://www.psychologicalscience.org/journals/pspi/pdf/pspi2_1.pdf

One could imagine that lecturing to a group of 30 in a nicely appointed flat classroom might be less effective than using TBL with a group of 120 in an old crumbling tiered lecture hall.

So, while I did not find it very helpful to review the research on optimal classroom size directly, instead I decided to consider the research on optimal teaching methods, and then ask "what type of classroom facilitates these particular instructional methods?"  Course design before classroom design.

So, my first question is  "What types of teaching methods result in better learning defined as long term retention, conceptual understanding, student retention, positive attitudes towards learning, etc. and the answer is 'small group interactive methods'/active learning which naturally leads me to the classroom design question "What types of classrooms lend themselves to proven methods (such as Peer Instruction and Team Based Learning) that promote small group interaction/active learning?

It seems to me that optimal classroom size varies as a function of instructional strategy.  For example, two evidence-based teaching methods, Peer Instruction (PI) and Team Based Learning (TBL) differ because the former can more easily work in a large tiered theatre with swivel seats, while the latter seems to work best in a flat space usually no bigger than 150 students seated at round tables seating 7.*

* Larry MIchaelson, the developer of TBL has written about optimal seating as well as how to cope in a large tiered theatre (Team Based Learning in Large Classes Ch 11 in his TBL book (2004)) as well as a chapter in Engaging large classes:  Strategies and techniques for college faculty (2002), by Stanley & Porter.  I think that he has some consumer satisfaction (and  maybe achievement?) data not but I know of no study directly comparing TBL using experienced teachers in a lecture theatre vs flat room with round tables, nor varying the size of room systematically.

However, for a more thorough check, I am going to ask the TBL listserve for any research on optimal classroom size/layout for TBL in particular.  Then, we could provide the Teaching Complex committee with

1) a list of those teaching methods that are based upon proven instructional principles (active learning, small group interaction, etc.) for which we have already provided some good studies
2) provide the optimal class size/layout per method though this will likely be based on best practices and practical concerns (like getting to each team in a room or the ability of students to be able to talk to those around them face to face) and not experimental data.  But who knows, maybe there are classroom size/design studies of which I am not aware.

For example - out of my head:

Peer Instruction - very flexible, has been found to work effectively in a tiered theatre of up to XXX students, but better if classes are capped at XXX to allow ample time for discussion
Team Based Learning - guidelines suggest students working in groups of 7 at round tables in a flat room.  Used in classes of XX-XXX, I've taught classes of about 85-99 and this allows (just enough) time for groups to report back to one another in a 90 minutes class
Inquiry Learning - availability of meeting and presentation space important, students more likely to work individually or in small organic groups in different locations such as the library, the field or the lab, but need space to come together to talk (small rooms of 5-10) as well as larger flat presentation space (X square footage) to share findings whether through performance or posters or public lecture.
Community Service Learning - flat room with round tables for groups so that the project mentors can move around and work with each group on their project.  Ask Kim Woodhouse and Brian Frank.  The CSL engineering courses here and at U of T are quite large, about 300. For a description of the one at Queen's, see   http://cden2007.eng.umanitoba.ca/resources/papers/36.pdf

I will forward you any info on TBL optimal class size that I get in the next few days, but yes, in my opinion and based on the TBL LISTSERVE info, a room could go to 150 especially if we used TAs to float as well as faculty mentors..

The question: Does anyone out there know of any empirical research that would address the question of optimal classroom size/layout or be able to provide an opinion based upon their experience?

Your help is appreciated!

Jill