This year for my initial review of course material, I created this exercise.

*Sticky Note Review*

*Purpose:* Begining the review process, by highlighting many of  the
concepts from previous modules. Turning on the light bulbs, per say.
Reinforces that many concepts (more than students realize) have been learned
over the term.  Wetting the student's appetite to appreciate that there are
many concepts that must be reviewed before a final exam.  Bringing back
earlier concepts in this brief manner, also encourages the students to
review textbooks and notes in a very different manner.

1. Divide into TBL groups
2. Each group is given pads of small sticky notes - which each member
receives a few.
3. Round One - give the students ten (10) minutes and ask them to review
module 1 and list as many concepts they can think of from that module.
Students may use aids such as textbooks, notes etc.
4. Students then arrange all their answers (alpha) on a wall.
5. Each group nominate a spokesperson.
6. Once the ten(10) lapses, ask each group to merely count their entries.
Record on the board at the front of the class.  Praise the group with the
highest number of entries.
7. Next, randomly request from each group a concept listed on the wall.  If
any other group listed the same concept, it must be removed from the wall.
8. Continue around the groups until most of the concepts are removed - Last
concept remaining wins.

9. Round Two - students are given ten (10) minutes again to review another
module in the book (don't go sequentially - pick the module randomly) to
list as many concepts they can think of from that module. Display their
concepts on the wall - preferably in alphabetical order.
10. Once the ten(10) lapses, ask each group to  count their entries.  Record
on the board at the front of the class.  Praise the group with the highest
number of entries. I found the entries in this round is twice that of the
first round.  Again, praise the group with the largest number.
11. Next, ask each group to locate, their most unique concept they have
listed.  Once the concept is announced, any group that has that entry must
remove it from the wall.  You will notice that students feel genuinely
disappointed if other groups had their 'most unique' idea.  Don't worry
about policing - groups are very efficient at this.
12.  Play this until you have removed most if not all the stickies from each
group wall.  Those concepts that remain - win as does its group.

You will notice a raised class level of participation and energy. By
adding the element of competition between groups, you will notice effective
cooperation within the TBL groups.   After a semester working in their TBL
groups, many groups are very high performing.  They can easily nominate who
will be spokesperson, recorder etc.

Dianne Davis
School of Business
Nipissing University