I have been in touch briefly with Mazur's Group.  Although I am not well-versed and know little about both, I feel they complement each other in at least in  lecture-lab settings. Making sure the students (a team of 2 students) understand the basic concepts during lecture (peer instruction), and  utilizing team-based learning for problem solving (application and integration of information from a variety of sources and disciplines )
I look forward to hearing from you when you return!

Nour
Purdue

From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emke, Amanda R.
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 2:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TBL goes to Harvard

I have limited knowledge regarding Peer Instruction, but based on what I understand, there is no "team" component. While both methods require well-written application questions and have interaction between students that can help promote formative assessment, PI functions as a group learning process in which individuals can share ideas and discuss topics but lacks the key elements of a "team" - a single work product that holds both individuals and the team accountable as well as shared leadership.

This is the vital component elevating TBL above other collaborative education models which focus on problem solving skills and student engagement. My experience with TBL has demonstrated that students gain all of these - improved learner engagement, improved problem solving skills AND improved team skills. PI might give students the first 2, but it can't give them the last.

Amanda

Amanda R. Emke, MD
Course Master, Pre-Clinical Pediatrics
Instructor, Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine
Fellow, Division of Pediatric Critical Care
                St. Louis Children's Hospital
                One Children's Place, NWT CB 8116
                St. Louis, MO 63110