From: "Summa, Maria" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:19:02 -0400
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Forced ranking in the peer evaluation process?

Dear TBL Community,

Our School of Pharmacy is launching a 3-calendar-year (33-month)
post-baccalaureate Doctor of Pharmacy program this coming Fall.  The
curriculum follows a modified-block model with a heavy emphasis on
active-learning instructional strategies.

Beginning with our inaugural class, we will pilot a process for peer/learner
evaluation at a curricular level (rather than at the individual course
level).  Teams of 6 students will complete peer evaluations multiple times
each academic term.  A ³capstone² course at the end of each calendar year
will ³house² the grade for peer evaluations, although learners will receive
timely feedback on their progress after each evaluation submission.  The
peer evaluations will represent a significant portion of the capstone course
final grade.

The peer evaluation tool we have developed is based on a forced-ranking
system, whereby learners would use a scale to rank each member of their
learning team on a set of abilities.  The abilities were developed from our
Schoolıs ability-based outcomes and literature on effective teams.  In
addition to ranking their peers, learners will be required to justify each
ranking through brief written comments that clearly identify areas of high
performance and those requiring further growth/development.  Comments will
be evaluated by faculty and will constitute a portion of the overall peer
evaluation grade.

While our faculty has approved the peer evaluation process and the
associated tool, there is some degree of hesitation with the use of a forced
ranking system, despite our requirement for peer score justification and
written comments.  I would appreciate hearing all opinions on the use of
forced ranking in peer evaluation from this group, particularly from those
of you who employ this model.

Thank you,
Maria Summa

Maria A. Summa, PharmD, BCPS
Associate Professor, Pharmacy Practice and Administration
Saint Joseph College School of Pharmacy
229 Trumbull Street, Hartford, CT 06103

Phone:     860.231.5885
Fax:        860.231.5759