Students who have done well in traditional classrooms, tend to have a hard time transitioning to TBL. When I first introduced TBL I started with only doing the challenge problems the first semester. Then I introduced team grading the second semester. The next year I introduced the iRAT/tRAT. This gradual approach allowed me to try out and tweak my approach. I also graded very leniently the first year. Once you get a feel for the process you can adapt it to your specific needs.

Some adaptations I use are to provide students with a detailed outline that is partially filled in with the RAT info, then students fill in the additional details throughout the unit. This way they can clearly see exactly how much information they learned. I personally give them a unit test, but whether you do this is your prerogative.

Additionally I prepped my administrators with what I was doing and why before I implimented any component of TBL. I also front load my course with a short TBL unit (just a small snippet of the curriculum), so that students can see what the whole process looks like.

Scott

From: Nancy Sohler <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, January 26, 2011 2:47:50 PM
Subject: Course evaluations

I just got my course evaluations from my first shot at TBL in an epidemiology course for undergraduate medical students.

Almost all of the students asked for more lectures and more explanations of the reading material.  I am looking forward to going to the TBL conference soon, but have others been rated harshly because of so much reliance on self-learning techniques?