I teach a two-semester Research Methods sequence and my students are staying in the same teams for the entire year. This is only the 2nd time I’ve used TBL in the course and most of my teams are getting along well, although a couple of teams are having some personal problems. I wanted to start out the semester by having them reflect on how their teams can work well together. I don’t want it to be a session of people telling other team members what they need to be doing but instead want it to be a session where everyone reflects on what worked well for the team, how each person could be a better team member, etc. I have a list of the Facilitation Strategies using the ORID summary technique and thought some of those questions could be modified for the purpose. For example:

What were the high points of your team work?

When did your team feel most challenged?

What part of the team work left you feeling skeptical or frustrated?

What are ways in which you can improve as a team member?

What parts of the team process are you most concerned about?

If anyone has any other suggestions then I’d love to hear them. I’m thinking that I will have them write brief response to the questions (maybe before they come to class the first day) and then have them share them.

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa D. Hager, Ph.D.

Chair, Division of Social Sciences