I just received end of semester student evaluations for fall 2010 semester.  Some students did not “buy into” the TBL theory of teaching.

I did my best to explain the justification for using TBL during the first week of class.

More specifically, I used

1.)    the process described in the attached document

First-Day Questions for the Learner-Centered Classroom

by Gary A. Smith  (National Teaching and Learning Forum, Sept. 2008)

and

2.)    the  video from U. of Texas  (http://magenta.cit.utexas.edu/largeclasses/#tbl)   .

Still, some students think they should be lectured to every class and, also, think they are being short- changed by a professor that uses TBL.

I have interacted with Larry Michaelsen over the years and have watched the videos at

             http://tblc.camp9.org/TBLVideos

Please advise me of things besides the above that will make students better “buy into” the TBL process.

Thanks in advance.

Duane Stock

Professor of Finance

University of Oklahoma

Duane R. Stock, Price Investments Professor

205A  Adams Hall

Price College of Business

University of Oklahoma

Norman, OK  73019