I am writing to seek advice from folks who have used TBL in introductory medical anthropology or other cultural anthro courses. As I redesign my lecture-discussion course to incorporate TBL, I am having trouble conceptualizing readiness assessment activities, particularly for the ethnographic material we will use to support the theoretical material. I am also having to balance these concerns with the specific challenges of course logistics (it's a study abroad course that requires that students and faculty to travel to multiple countries and conduct case study investigations). That said, I do think that TBL sounds like the perfect approach for this type of course because students are already required to work together on case study assignments, and I have heard from others who have taught this course in the past that students often have difficulty keeping up with the reading and processing material because of the peripatetic nature of the course. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Adia

Adia Benton PhD, MPH
Visiting scholar | Anthropology
Dartmouth College