Hello All,

Are there any modifications to TBL for introductory (i.e. freshman/sophomore) undergraduate courses that you recommend?

In searching the archives, I found a few:
I am asking because I am trying out TBL for the first time in my intro. "Economics 101" classes.  The students just took a midterm with questions I used before, without TBL.  On most of my midterm questions, students did slightly worse that students in pervious terms.  Considering how much time I put into adopting TBL this is disheartening.

It's my belief that TBL could do more to motivate out-of-class studying and preparation, a need I feel that is correlated to how well a student is prepared for college-level work, a problem for beginning students more than for upperclassmen/graduate students.  As far as evidence goes, my iRAT scores averages are around 50% (tRAT scores using IF-ATs are around 83%).

I am planning to try TBL again in the Spring.  Greatful for any input.  Below I am including more information about my situation.

Best,

Eddy Chi

Further background:

--