We agree with David on this.  We keep our teams together for the entire year because it then gives students an incentive to “work out differences/conflicts” between themselves, rather than do the easy thing and just try to ignore conflicts because they only have the work with their teammates for a “few more days/weeks”.  We also don’t allow them to switch out of teams.  We know that building teams takes some time and effort, so that the peer evaluations aren’t as powerful if the students know they won’t be working with that person again.  Giving constructive feedback in this setting is more meaningful because it means something to the person giving the feedback.  In addition, giving constructive feedback  well in this setting has implications for their own performance.  And finally  teams go through a progression described by Tuckman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckman%27s_stages_of_group_development)  as “Forming”, “Norming” “Storming” and finally “Performing”.  This model (which we share with our students in our orientation) suggests that these developmental stages are necessary before teams can get to a high performing state.  Students won’t have a chance to be in or even see a high performance team if they are constantly shifting around.  We suggest that if you have the opportunity to keep students in their teams for longer periods of time, you should strongly consider it.

Bob Kamei and Sandy Cook
Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Teachout
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Groups: keep them or change them?

If you kept the same teams, might there be a benefit of further progression of a "team cohesiveness" effect?

Considering the initial groups "developed" into teams over the course of the first semester, how much further might the developmental process reach?

In most situations, teams dissolve as a function of the 14- or 15-week semester.  If TBL is truly a prep for the type of 21st Century Skills that seems to be valued in today's workplace (i.e., collaboration, etc.), why not take advantage of this rare opportunity to see just how much teams might be able to accomplish beyond one semester?