peer evaluation practices Hello everyone -
I’m curious about the peer evaluation procedures you use. Would you take a few moments to respond to the following “straw poll?” In addition, please feel free to send any thoughts or comments about peer evaluations.

  1. How many times do you collect peer evaluations during a term (e.g., once, twice, after each team activity)?
  2. Do you use a numerical peer evaluations (e.g., assigning points or answering survey items on a 1-to-7 scale), open-ended comments, both, or something else?
  3. Do you share peer evaluations with students?

In the spirit of sharing, I tell you my answers to the above questions. I teach undergraduates in large-enrollment sections (N=140) of Introduction to Psychology. In the past, I’ve collected peer evaluations at the end of the term using survey items rated on a 1-to-7 scale and I haven’t shared peer evaluations with students (unless they asked about their final grade). This semester, I’m experimenting with collecting open-ended comments after each team activity and sharing those formative comments with students. Its too early in the semester to determine the effect of the new peer evaluation procedure but the change got me wondering about the variety of peer evaluation procedures used by other TBL folks.

Many thanks for your thoughts and time!
lm
Laura Madson, Associate Professor and Graduate Director
Department of Psychology
Box 30001/MSC 3452
Las Cruces, NM 88003
(575) 646-6207